News - Media Releases 2017
Central Bank of Malta - Coin Programme 2017
The Central Bank of Malta is launching its Numismatic Coin Programme for 2017 which includes the following products:
- A silver numismatic coin commemorating the Maltese Presidency of the Council of the EU which Malta will be assuming in January 2017. This will be the first time that Malta will be assuming the Presidency and this silver coin will be marking this historic occasion. The coin is expected to be issued in January 2017.
- A gold and silver numismatic coin issued under the Europa Coin Programme, which in 2017 will carry the theme 'the Age of Iron and Glass'. The Maltese coins will feature a detail of the conservatory constructed in the Argotti Botanic Gardens. Unfortunately this impressive iron and glass structure no longer exists. These coins are expected to be issued in March 2017.
- A euro coin set dated 2017 consisting of the eight Maltese euro circulation coins together with a €2 commemorative coin, which is the second in a series of seven coins featuring Maltese prehistoric structures that are listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites. This set is expected to be issued in June 2017.
- A €2 commemorative coin featuring the Ħaġar Qim temples. This will be the second in a series of seven coins featuring Maltese prehistoric structures that are listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The coin will be issued in rolls of 25 coins each as well as individually in coin cards. This coin is expected to be issued in July 2017.
- A silver numismatic coin, commemorating the 75th anniversary of Operation Pedestal, which is better known as the 'Santa Maria' Convoy. This coin will pay tribute to an important milestone in Malta's fight for survival during the Second World War. This coin is expected to be issued in August 2017.
- A €2 commemorative coin featuring the winning design of a competition that will be open to secondary school students, the theme for 2017 being 'Peace'. The coin will be issued in rolls of 25 coins each as well as individually in coin cards. This coin is expected to be issued in November 2017.
For more information, the public is kindly invited to either contact the Bank's Malta Coin Centre by email or by calling (+356) 2550 6006/7 or to view the details of the coin programme on the Bank's website. The coins and other products may be purchased on-line from the Malta Coin Centre portal www.maltacoincentre.com.
Back to Archive