On March 17, 1986, the Central
Bank of Malta issued a new series of currency notes under the
CBM Fourth Series programme. The currency notes were in denominations
of Lm2, Lm5, Lm10 and Lm20, two of which (the Lm2 and Lm20)
were the first such denominations to be issued by the Monetary
Each note in the fourth series portrays on
the front an Ex-President of the Republic, Miss Agatha Barbara;
an old traditional Maltese sailing craft; a map of the Maltese
islands; a dove holding an olive branch and a spiral motif
the renowned neolithic temple at Tarxien discovered in 1914.
The four old sailing ships are representative of an established
shipbuilding activity for which the Island was known up to
nineteenth century. Malta is rich in prehistoric temples and
it was fitting that a decorative ornament taken from one
the foremost temples of this kind should be borrowed to enhance
the artistic beauty of the notes. On the back, the notes
vignettes illustrating various activities of a traditional
or commercial nature, as well as a symbolic monument and
of outstanding architectural qualities. Three panoramic views
are also included. The emblem of the Republic also appears
the back of each note. The words "Bank Centrali ta' Malta" appear
on both sides of the notes.
Security features visible
to the naked eye include multicolour engraving, a watermark
of an allegorical
head and a security thread. Further safeguards are visible
under ultra violet light. The notes manufactured by Thomas
de la Rue
Limited UK, were printed by an intaglio direct plate with lithographic
printing as a background.
The predominant colour of this note is red and the dimensions
are 138mm by 66.5mm. The old Maltese sailing ship featured
the front is the "Brigantin" (1531). The back has
been printed in various shades of red and yellow, and it contains
a vignette of an aerial view of Marsaxlokk harbour, depot for
international transhipment of goods. It also illustrates one
of the gantry cranes installed at the transhipment project.
banknote ceased to be legal tender on
15th June 1998, and was exchangeable at the Central Bank of
Malta until 16th June 2008.
This note is predominantly blue and its dimensions are 145mm
by 69mm. The old Maltese sailing ship on the front is the "Xprunara" (1798).
On the back the note depicts a view of Mellieha Bay, a popular
summer venue for holidaymakers. It also illustrates
a woman engaged in lace making, a traditional craft very much
in demand, and a fisherman in the course of making fishing
a once popular and now little used means of catching fish.
banknote ceased to be legal tender on 15th June 1998, and was
exchangeable at the Central Bank of Malta
until 16th June 2008.
Green is prevalent on the Lm10 note whose dimensions are 152mm
by 72.5mm, with the "Tartana" (1740) featuring in
front as the old Maltese boat. The vignette on the back includes
a view of Grand Harbour with a section of the Malta Drydocks
in the foreground. This is one of the major industries in the
country. The building of the Central Bank of Malta appears
The banknote ceased to be legal tender on
the 13th September 2000, and was exchangeable at the Central
Bank of Malta until 13th September 2010.
The note, 159mm by 76mm, is in various shades
of brown, with the "Xambekk" (1743) featuring on
the front. The back shows, in the foreground, the monument
to the Maltese Worker located in Msida, and in the background,
a side view of the Auberge de Castille, a gem of Baroque architecture
built in Valletta by the Knights of St John of Jerusalem to
attend to the needs of knights of Castillian origin. The Auberge
now serves as the Office of the Prime Minister.
ceased to be legal tender on
30th November 1992, and was exchangeable at the Central Bank
of Malta until 2nd December 2002.